Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Butterfly Releases: Captivating or Cruelty?


I went home last Sunday for our annual Grand Alumni Homecoming. It was a good opportunity to catch up again with my high scool batchmates, schoolmates and friends. Our annual homecoming activity coincides with the death anniversary of Fr. Al, now a Servant of God.

After the ceremony to give thanks and remember Fr. Al at the Virgin of the Poor Chapel, there was a balloon release as well as butterfly release. It's a sort of symbolic rituals rituals celebrating transitions, letting go and hoping that a wish may come true.

butterfly release

Butterfly releases are quite common during the weddings, funerals, birthdays and other celebrations. I've got issue with that.

butterfly releases

At first, I thought it was cool. Seeing those butterflies fly again and land on a flower is captivating. But I also saw butterflies that can hardly fly and literally landed on the ground probably due to stress after being stuffed into envelopes for hours.

I look at it as cruelty against butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment