Thursday, March 13, 2008

Using my SE608i Smart 3G phone for my ASUS EEE PC internet connection

I was able to connect to internet using my Sony Ericson 608i as dial modem for my ASUS EEE PC. Although I have a limited knowledge using Linux, I was able to configure it easily.


Here's how I was able to do it.

Following the instructions here and here, here's the step-by-step way of doing it.

The idea here is to create a dial up profile using your 3g phone.

1.Plug your SE 608i into your EEE PC via USB

2.Create a dial up connection using the network connection tools. Use *99# as the dial up number and complete the network creation wizard

3.Launch a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) to edit the following files:

a. /etc/ppp/peers/dialup1 - the last few lines should appear like this:
modem
/dev/ttyACM0
460800

b./etc/chatscripts/dialup1 - the file should look like this:

ABORT VOICE
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO DIAL TONE"
TIMEOUT 120
"" ATZ
OK ATV1E0
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
OK ATD*99#
CONNECT \c

4. Don't forget to save the files. :-)

5. Connect using the dial up profile you have created.

Read my ASUS EEE PC wi-fi problem entry if you're experiencing similar problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment